My Story

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What Not To Say

Today a friend of mine lost her baby. My heart aches for her and her family.

After my experience with miscarriage, then stillbirth with Riley, I thought I would have an incredible insight on how to comfort moms experiencing similar pain. What I have found though, is that no words can comfort a grieving mother. However, well-meaning words can be hurtful. Even I, who knows what words were hurtful to me, find myself word vomiting in the awkwardness of the situation. To fill the space, we say things we're "supposed to say" like: "This was all for a reason" or "They are in Heaven now" or "What can I do for you?". While those things may be true, they don't comfort.

So for anyone reading this, please check out this article written on What Not To Say.

And remember that it's not your words, but your actions & your presence (even months & years later) that really comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment